Thursday 30 July 2015

Monochrome Spiked Ripple Blanket


Both my girls got an 'Heirloom' blanket when they moved out so when my son left I thought he should have one too!
I discussed colours and it was going to be shades of blue. I also wasn't planning on granny squares this time as I wanted to have a go at the spiked ripple I had seen on the Internet . 
I found a pattern for free ( LOVE free patterns!!) called Grandma spiked my ripple by Darlisa Riggs. This had a diagram of the stitches... Always very useful and she also had a YouTube video on the spike stitch.. A win win all round!
Then I changed my mind on the colours and decided on a monochrome palette of  black, white, silver, grey and graphite.

My finished blanket and cushion.


 All Stylecraft DK two balls of each colour (100gms in each ball)


I used a 5mm hook and worked out I needed 187 chain to start which would give me 10 pattern repeats which I thought would be a decent size.
This pattern is easy to follow and grows at a good pace. I tried to do one colour repeat most days and fell in love with how the pattern looked. It was really stunning!


I did 8 colour repeats which gave me a blanket approx 100 x 150cms
I shouldn't have stopped there as when I laid it on the bed later I realised if I had done 3 more colour repeats it would have draped nicely over the end of a double bed!!! Arghhh! So if you have bought the yarn to do this pattern go for the three extra rows... it will look fab and you won't be disappointed!! Unless of course its a single bed ...job already done!!


As it was I only used a small amount out of  the second ball and would have had plenty to carry on! Never mind hind sight is a wonderful thing!


The border was crab stitch. I have  never done this before and after watching some confusing videos on YouTube found this one which I found simple to understand.


You can't see very well in this picture but the stitch makes little bobbles and looks like a twisted rope.

I loved this pattern so much and had plenty of yarn left over so I decided to make a matching cushion.
This was to be a 16" x 16" cover so had a starting chain of 79. Due to the points made by the pattern it would be an envelope style cushion.
I did 8 colour repeats. 


Then dc around the whole piece but not the last row of points... It doesn't need it. I did 2 dc in each side of the treble and 3 dc in each chain space.


It is probably best to block the points now... Not like me who had to try and do it after I had started making up the cushion...doh!


I folded it over my cushion insert until I was happy and marked where I was joining. I joined in two parts... First I slip stitched the bottom two sides then the top two sides. Don't forget to leave a flap to put the insert in easily!

Then I chose 5 random grey buttons from my stash and sewed them in place then put in the insert.




Just a note for a cushion 16 x 16" you will need an insert of 18 x 18" to make it plump!

I have loved making this pattern and will be trying out some different colourways.

Happy crocheting xxx Eirawen

2 comments:

  1. Wow, your blanket is stunning! I love your matching cushion cover, too. I keep meaning to have a go at a cushion cover and have never got around to it. I love your tip about the slightly bigger cushion insert. I've never seen that before so it's good to know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shelagh x Cushions are great as they don't take long so can do multiple ones in different patterns in a relatively short space of time! Also don't use as much yarn either!

    ReplyDelete