Sunday 31 August 2014

Flower Garden Blanket

What has happened to summer? Today is dark, wet, gloomy and miserable. Its 10am and I need the lights on!

What a far cry from the week that I made the flower garden blanket most of which was made outdoors in the glorious sunshine!

I had started making these popcorn flowers a few weeks  earlier and got distracted by another project so when I came across them again I couldn't remember what I had intended to make with them!

The popcorn stitch is explained here.

I used a 4mm hook

1.Magic circle, ch3 ,11 tr into circle, close circle. ( 12 trebles)
2.Start in any stitch, ch2 tr in first stitch then 2tr 1ch in each stitch around.sl st to join.
3. Start in any ch space 3ch (counts as first tr in popcorn st) popcorn, ch3 popcorn in every space sl st to join.
 
To turn them in to squares:
Start in any ch space then 3ch 2tr into same space, ch1, 3tr in next space, ch1, 3dtr 2ch 3dtr to make the corner and continue.
I made 36 popcorn flowers. Don't they look lovely! The colours are Stylecraft wisteria, clematis, magenta, teal, cream and a little Hayfield yellow.
But all those ends to sew in!! Arggh!
 My original plan was to set the flowers in green... but they did not look right so...
 turned them into squares using the cream. Much better.

All turned into squares and pattern sorted so ready to join with the teal. The Patchwork Heart has a good  jayg map.


Looking like a carpet of flowers! This is so springy, textured and tactile!

36 Popcorn flowers all joined and finished with a granny stitch border and just a simple v stitch edging.
This is a square blanket 73x73cm which despite the textured flowers is really soft.
xxx Eirawen















No comments:

Post a Comment